So let’s explore the question.
I like burlap because it …
- has texture;
- is a natural fibre from the jute plant;
- is a renewable product because of its source;
- is available in several neutral colours and can be dyed;
- is relatively inexpensive;
- can be used without sewing;
- accepts paint well;
- comes in a variety of widths and qualities;
- has an open weave for introducing different materials into design.
On the other side are several drawbacks…
- it is smelly;
- cheaper varieties are very coarse;
- it is usually stiff and doesn’t gather well;
- the weave is uneven
Here’s a collection of commercially produced products using burlap. Obviously, this isn’t the burlap you wrap your trees with in fall!
There are also lots of options for DIYers or to purchase from sites like ETSY.
Now it’s your turn….